Recipe: Slow Roasted Holiday Brisket
2 pound Kettle Club Brisket
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 3/4-inch lengths
1 large onion, cut into quarters
2 ribs celery, cut into 3-inch lengths
3 cloves garlic, smashed
1 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoons brown mustard
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
4 ounces peeled, finely grated horseradish root
1 quarts beef bone broth
1 bay leave
3 sprigs thyme
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees. Grab an ovenproof braising pan or pot with a tight-fitting lid.
- Season the brisket liberally with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in pan. Add the brisket and brown it on all sides. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoons of oil to the pan or pot if needed, then add the carrots, onions, celery and garlic. Season with salt and pepper to taste; cook for 2 minutes, stirring to coat evenly.
- Combine the honey, mustard, vinegar and horseradish in a medium bowl and stir until smooth. Add it to vegetable mixture. Cook for about 3 minutes stirring often dislodge any browned bits from the bottom of the pan or pot.
- Return the brisket to the braising pan or pot (still over medium-high heat). Add enough broth to cover the brisket, then add the bay leaves, thyme and parsley. Once the liquid starts to bubble at the edges, cover and transfer to the oven.
- Slow-roast until the internal temperature reaches 165-170 degrees F (about 2 1/2 hours)
- Let rest for 10-15 minutes and slice against the grain when serving.
Tip: The pan drippings make an excellent gravy for serving your slow-roasted brisket!