Smoked Polish Mac and Cheese
- 1 package elbow macaroni
- 1 lb. Smoked Beef polish
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups milk
- 1 package (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 package (8 ounces) shredded provolone blend cheese
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cook macaroni in large saucepan as directed on package for al dente pasta. Rinse under cold water; drain well.
- Cook and stir sausage and onion in same pot on medium-high heat about 5 minutes or until browned. Remove from pot; drain fat. Set aside.
- Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter in same pot on medium heat. Sprinkle with flour and pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes or until well blended. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Stirring constantly, cook 3 minutes or until sauce starts to thicken. Stir in cheeses until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Add macaroni, sausage and onion; toss gently to coat.
- Pour into greased 13×9-inch baking dish. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of the butter; mix with panko. Sprinkle evenly on top.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown on top. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.